Buscar este blog

viernes, 17 de agosto de 2012

Do 22 en Yugoslavia


Dornier Do 22 en servicio con la Fuerza Aérea yugoslava


El prototipo del hidroavión triplaza Dornier Do 22 apareció en la factoría de Dornier Altenrhein en Suiza. Tenía una construcción en metal y recubierto de tela, excepto la parte delantera del fuselaje que era de metal. Estaba propulsado por un motor Hispano-Suiza 12Y y estaba armado con cuatro ametralladoras MG 15 de 7´92 mm; una en la parte delantera del fuselaje encima del motor, una en una posición ventral y dos en la cabina trasera para su autodefensa.

A pesar de no haber sido ordenados para el equipamiento de la Luftwaffe, se completaron un lote inicial de 30 aparatos en la fábrica de Friedrichshafen (Alemania), siendo entregado el primero de ellos el 15 de julio de 1938. La Fuerza Aérea yugoslava adquirió un lote de 12 de estos aparatos que serían destinados al reconocimiento marítimo y al bombardeo ligero. Estos hidroaviones recibieron la designación de Dornier Do 22 Kj y fueron encuadrados en el 20º Escuadrón de Hidroaviones (con 6 aparatos) dentro del 2º Grupo de Hidroaviones con base en Orahovac. Los otros 6 Dornier Do 22 se encontraban destinados en el 2º Command de Hidroaviones con el 25º Escuadrón de Hidroaviones en Višovac. El 9 de abril de 1941 un Do 22 descubrió un convoy italiano de 12 mercantes escoltados por 8 destructores y realizó un ataque sin éxito debido al intenso fuego antiaéreo. 


Fuentes:
FATUTTA, F. “Attack on Yugoslavia The International Magazine of Armies & Weapons, 1975
SHORES, C. “Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece & Crete – 1940-41 Grub Street, 1987

English version

The prototype seater Dornier Do 22 flying boat appeared on the Dornier Altenrhein factory in Switzerland. Had a construction of metal and coated material, except the front of the fuselage was metal. It was powered by a Hispano-Suiza 12Y and was armed with four MG 15 machine guns of 7'92 mm, one in the front of the fuselage above the engine, in a ventral position and two in the rear cabin for self-defense.

Despite not having been ordained to the equipment of the Luftwaffe, completed an initial batch of 30 devices at the factory in Friedrichshafen (Germany), being delivered the first on July 15, 1938. The Yugoslav Air Force purchased a batch of 12 of these devices that would be intended for maritime reconnaissance and light bombing. These seaplanes received the designation of Dornier Do 22 kJ and were framed at 20º Squadron of Seaplanes (with 6 units) within the Seaplanes Group based in Orahovac. The other 6 Dornier Do 22 were assigned to the 2 nd Seaplanes Command with 25 Squadron of Seaplanes in Visovac. On April 9, 1941 a C 22 discovered an Italian convoy escorted by 12 merchant 8 destroyers and made an unsuccessful attack due to intense flak.


Sources:
FATUTTA, F. “Attack on Yugoslavia The International Magazine of Armies & Weapons, 1975
SHORES, C. “Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece & Crete – 1940-41 Grub Street, 1987

jueves, 16 de agosto de 2012

Cañón autopropulsado M8


Howitzer Motor Carriage M8

 
El cañón autopropulsado M8 (denominado oficialmente como T17E1 HMC) también fue conocido como M8 Scott y estaba basado en el bastidor del carro M5 sin torreta y con la cubierta abierta para dar cabida a su nuevo armamento y propósito. Este armamento consistía en el obús M2 de 75 mm que más tarde sería sustituido por el M3 del mismo calibre. Ambos modelos descendían del cañón de montaña M1A1 que fue remodelado para su nuevo cometido.

El M8 podía transportar hasta 48 proyectiles de su armamento principal, su mayoría era rompedores M48 pero también tenía una previsión de proyectiles de humo M89. Para su defensa cercana tenía instalada un ametralladora Browning M1919A4 de 7´62 mm, heredada de los M5 estándar y otra Browning M2HB de 12´7 mm en el techo del vehículo que servía para su defensa antiaérea con 400 proyectiles.

Los primeros vehículos fueron ordenados en abril de 1942 pero no se comenzó con su producción hasta el mes de septiembre prolongándose hasta enero de 1944. En este periodo se fabricaron un total de 1.778 vehículos participando en la campaña Italiana, del Oeste y el Pacífico. 

 


Fuentes:
CHAMBERLAIN, P. “British and American tanks of World War II” Arco, 1984
HOFFSCHMIDT, E. “Tank Data 2, Aberdeen Proving Grounds Series” 1969
COLONEL R. ICKS. “Profile: AFV Weapons 26: Hellcat, Long Tom and Priest and Complete Check List of all U.S. World War II Self-Propelled Weapons” 1971

English versión

The M8 self-propelled gun (known officially as T17E1 HMC) was also known as M8 Scott and based on carriage frame without extension and M5 open deck to accommodate the new weapons and purpose. This armament consisted of 75 mm M2 howitzer that would later be replaced by the M3 of the same caliber. Both models came down the mountain gun M1A1 which was remodeled for its new role.

The M8 could carry up to 48 rounds of their main weapons, mostly M48 was groundbreaking but also had a forecast of smoke shells M89. To his defense was installed near a machine gun 7.62 mm Browning M1919A4 from inherited from the standard M5 and another 12.7 mm Browning M2HB on the roof of the vehicle that was used for air defense with 400 bullets.

The first vehicles were ordered in April 1942 but not started production to September lasting until January 1944. During this period produced a total of 1,778 vehicles involved in the Italian campaign, the West and the Pacific.




Sources:
CHAMBERLAIN, P. “British and American tanks of World War II” Arco, 1984
HOFFSCHMIDT, E. “Tank Data 2, Aberdeen Proving Grounds Series” 1969
COLONEL R. ICKS. “Profile: AFV Weapons 26: Hellcat, Long Tom and Priest and Complete Check List of all U.S. World War II Self-Propelled Weapons” 1971

miércoles, 15 de agosto de 2012

KV-1 en San Petesburgo


KV-1 rescatado en San Petesburgo


El KV-1 en encontró bajo el agua, cerca de Kirov, a 50 Km al este de San Petesburgo, la antigua Leningrado el 16 de noviembre de 2011. El vehículo cayó al agua en noviembre de 1941 durante los combates desencadenados en la zona.

Al vehículo le falta su armamento principal así como los guardabarros y algunas de sus escotillas. El óxido se ha adueñado de toda la superficie del carro de combate y la cámara del motor ha perdido su tapa blindada. En el lado izquierdo ha perdido su rueda tensora delantera así como algunas ruedas de retorno pero es difícil precisar si fue a consecuencia de los daños sufridos en combate o se perdieron posteriormente. Como curiosidad destacar el extraño color que tiene la torreta, en su parte izquierda, que está ennegrecida. 





English version

The KV-1 was under water, near Kirov, 50 km east of St. Petersburg, former Leningrad on November 16, 2011. The vehicle fell into the water in November 1941 triggered during the fighting in the area.

The vehicle is missing its main armament and the fender and some of the hatches. The rust has taken over the entire surface of the tank and the engine room has lost its top armor. In the left has lost its front idler wheels and some return but it is difficult to say whether it was a result of damage sustained in combat or were subsequently lost. As a curious note the strange color that has the turret, on its left side, which is blackened.



 

martes, 14 de agosto de 2012

Experten alemanes: Wolf-Dieter Huy


Hauptmann Wolf-Dieter Huy

 
Logró un registro final de 40 victorias aéreas en 500 misiones de combate. Se unió al JG 77 en septiembre de 1939 con tan solo 22 años de edad y reclamó su primera victoria el 31 de mayo de 1940 al derribar un Spitfire. El 13 de agosto fue promocionado al Stab del III./JG 77.

A principios de 1941 la Staffel de Huy fue convertida en una unidad de cazabombardeo (Jabo) para realizar ataques al suelo. Durante la ofensiva sobre Grecia y Creta Huy pilotó su Bf 109 F-4 “1 Blanco” (WNr. 8334) atacando la navegación aliada. El III Gruppe, dónde se encontraba él, hundieron un total de 34.000 toneladas de registro, incluyendo las 22.000 toneladas del mercante Hellas y fue dañado el crucero HMS Fiji junto con un destructor. El 22 de mayo el 7./JG 77 atacó al acorazado HMS Warspite, entre las 12:13 y las 12:48, logrando tres impactos directos sobre el navío que lo dañaron (Oberleutnant Huth, Feldwebel Furth y el Unteroffizer Pichler)

Tras la victoria en la campaña de los Balcanes el III./JG 52 fue desplegado para cubrir el avance del Heeresgruppe Süd y pronto sus pilotos comenzaron a sumar más victorias, esta vez sobre la aviación soviética. El 5 de julio Huy fue condecorado con la Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes, por sus acciones durante las misiones Jabo del pasado mes de mayo. Desde el 22 de junio, inicio de la Operación Barbarroja, logró 21 victorias más. A principios de 1942 el III./JG 77 sirvió en Crima derribando el 23 de enero a un as soviético, Starshiy Leytenant Mikhail Avdeyev perteneciente al 32 IAP. El 11 de marzo fue Huy el que sumó la victoria número 600 del Gruppe, su victoria número 38, aunque fue alcanzado por el propio fuego antiaéreo alemán resultando herido en el incidente. Tras recuperarse en un hospital en la retaguardia regresó a su unidad en agosto de ese mismo mes aunque pronto fue enviado al norte de África. 

 Bf 109 G-2

El 28 de octubre de 1942 derribó un caza Spitfire sobre el desierto egipcio pero al día siguiente Huy fue derribado por el as británico P/O JH Nicholls del 601º Sqn. sobre el campo de batalla de El Alamein. Sobrevivió al derribo y fue capturado por las tropas británicas pasando el resto de la guerra como prisionero de guerra. Huy murió el 13 de julio de 2003 en Gernsbach.

Fuentes:
FELLGIEBEL, W-P. “Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945” Podzun-Pallas, 2000
SCUTTS, J. “Bf 109 Aces of North Africa and the Mediterranean” Osprey, 1994
SPICK, M. “Luftwaffe Fighter Aces” Ivy Books, 1996

English version

Achieved a final record of 40 aerial victories in 500 combat missions. He joined JG 77 in September 1939 just 22 years old and claimed his first victory on May 31, 1940 shooting down a Spitfire. On August 13, was promoted to Stab III./JG 77.

In early 1941 the Staffel of Huy was converted into a unit Jabo for ground attacks. During the attack on Greece and Crete Huy piloted his Bf 109 F-4 "1 White" (WNr. 8334) by attacking Allied shipping. The Gruppe III, where was he sank a total of 34,000 registered tons, including 22,000 tons of merchant Hellas and was damaged HMS Fiji along with a destroyer. On 22 May 7./JG 77 attacked the battleship HMS Warspite, between 12:13 and 12:48, scoring three direct hits on the ship he was injured (Oberleutnant Huth, Feldwebel Unteroffizer Furth and Pichler)


After the victory in the Balkan campaign III./JG 52 was deployed to cover the advance of Heeresgruppe Süd and its pilots soon began to score more victories, this time on Soviet aircraft. On July 5, Huy was awarded the Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes, for his actions during Jabo missions of last May. Since 22 June, beginning of Operation Barbarossa, had 21 victories. In early 1942 III./JG 77 served in Crima knocking on January 23, a Soviet ace, Mikhail Avdeev Leytenant Starshiy belonging to 32 IAP. On March 11 Huy who was joined by the 600th victory of Gruppe, win number 38, but was hit by German flak himself was wounded in the incident. After recovering in a hospital in the rear returned to his unit in August of that same month but soon was sent to North Africa.

On October 28, 1942 shot down a Spitfire fighter on the Egyptian desert but the next day Huy was shot down by the British as P/O JH Nicholls No. 601 Sqn. on the battlefield of El Alamein. He survived the demolition and was captured by British troops spending the rest of the war as a prisoner of war. Huy died on July 13, 2003 in Gernsbach.

 
Sources:
FELLGIEBEL, W-P. “Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945” Podzun-Pallas, 2000
SCUTTS, J. “Bf 109 Aces of North Africa and the Mediterranean” Osprey, 1994
SPICK, M. “Luftwaffe Fighter Aces” Ivy Books, 1996

lunes, 13 de agosto de 2012

17 cm Kanone 18


17 cm Kanone 18 Mörserlafette


El 17 cm Kanone 18 Mörserlafette fue la pieza principal, juncon el Möser 18 de 21 cm, de la artillería pesada alemana durante la contienda. Esta pieza era usada a nivel de Cuerpo en fuego de largo alcance y contra-batería. Como hemos visto anteriormente en la entrada del Möser 18 de 21 cm, el Kanone 18 fue el reemplazo para dicha pieza después de 1942 debido a que era más barato, tenía más alcance, era más ligero y el poder de fuego era similar. Su peso jugaba en su contra y muchas piezas caían en manos enemigas tras ser abandonadas en las retiradas.

Ambas piezas fueron diseñadas por Krupp y disponían del mismo tipo de cureña salvo que el Kanone 17 podía ser transportado en una sola pieza en trayectos cortos. Fue introducido en 1941 para reemplazar el cañón de 15 cm que se había mostrado como inadecuado para la nueva forma de hacer la guerra de Alemania. El Kanone 17 gozaba del novedoso sistema de afuste del Möser 18 que absorbía el efecto del retroceso por un sistema doble, no sólo gracias al clásico mecanismo de amortiguación montado sobre el propio tubo (retroceso de 860 mm), sino también mediante el deslizamiento del afuste por raíles deslizantes alojados en la estructura del tren de rodaje (con otros 1.250 mm). Con este sistema el retroceso del arma se ve en la práctica anulada lo que aumenta la precisión del disparo. Al igual que su hermano mayor disponía de varios tipos de munición como el 17 cm K Gr 39, 17 cm K Gr 38 Hb o el 17 cm Pzgr 73.


Datos técnicos del Kanone 18 de 17 cm Mörser 18 de 21 cm (en negrita)

Calibre: 172,5 mm / 210,9 mm
Longitud de la pieza: 8,52 m / 6,51 m.
Peso en orden de marcha:  23.375 kg / 22.700 kg
Peso en batería:  17.520 Kg / 16.700 kg
Sector de tiro vertical: 0º a + 50º / 0º a +50º
Sector de tiro horizontal: sobre plataforma 360º sobre afuste 16º / el mismo
Velocidad inicial:  925 m/s / 565 m/s
Alcance máximo: 29.600 m / 16.700 m.
Peso del obús explosivo: 68 kg / 121 kg


Fuentes:
BISHOP, C. “The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II” Thunder Bay Press, 2006
GANDER, T. & CHAMBERLAIN, P. “Weapons of the Third Reich: An Encyclopedic Survey of All Small Arms, Artillery and Special Weapons of the German Land Forces 1939-1945”. Doubleday, 1979
ENGELMANN, J. & SCHIBERT, H. “Deutsche Artillerie 1934-1945: Eine Dokumentation in Text, Skizzen und Bildern: Ausrüstung, Gliederung, Ausbildung, Führung, Einsatz” C. A. Starke, 1974
HOGG, I. “German Artillery of World War Two”. Stackpole Books, 1997

English version

The 17 cm Kanone 18 Mörserlafette was the main piece, juncon the Möser 18 of 21 cm, the German heavy artillery during the war. This piece was used at Body in long-range fire and counter-battery. As we have seen at the entrance of Möser 18 of 21 cm, the Kanone 18 was the replacement for that part after 1942 because it was cheaper, had more reach, was lighter and the fire power was similar. His playing weight against him and many pieces were falling into enemy hands after being abandoned in withdrawals.


Both pieces were designed by Krupp and possessed the same type of carriage unless the Kanone 17 could be transported in one piece on short trips. It was introduced in 1941 to replace the barrel of 15 cm which was shown to be inadequate for the new form of warfare of Germany. The Kanone 17 enjoyed the new system of Möser gun carriage 18 absorbing the recoil effect by a dual system, not only through the classical damping mechanism mounted on the tube itself (reverse of 860 mm), but also by sliding the front stock by skids housed in the chassis structure (with another 1,250 mm). With this system recoil in practice is canceled thereby increasing the shooting accuracy. Like his older brother had several types of ammunition as the 17 cm K Gr 39, Gr 38 K 17 cm or 17 cm Hb Pzgr 73.

Technical Data Kanone Mörser 18 17 cm 21 cm 18 (in bold)

Calibre: 172.5 mm / 210.9 mm
Length of piece: 8.52 m / 6.51 m.
Weight in running order: 23,375 kg / 22,700 kg
Battery weight: 17,520 kg / 16,700 kg
Sector shot vertical: 0 ° to + 50 º / 0 º to +50 º
Sector shot horizontal platform on gun carriage 360 º 16 º / same
Initial Velocity: 925 m/s / 565 m/s
Maximum range: 29,600 m / 16,700 m.
Explosive shell weight: 68 kg / 121 kg



 
Sources:
BISHOP, C. “The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II” Thunder Bay Press, 2006
GANDER, T. & CHAMBERLAIN, P. “Weapons of the Third Reich: An Encyclopedic Survey of All Small Arms, Artillery and Special Weapons of the German Land Forces 1939-1945”. Doubleday, 1979
ENGELMANN, J. & SCHIBERT, H. “Deutsche Artillerie 1934-1945: Eine Dokumentation in Text, Skizzen und Bildern: Ausrüstung, Gliederung, Ausbildung, Führung, Einsatz” C. A. Starke, 1974
HOGG, I. “German Artillery of World War Two”. Stackpole Books, 1997

viernes, 10 de agosto de 2012

Aviación táctica aliada: Typhoon

Hawker Typhoon

 
Los orígenes del Typhon hay que buscarlos en la solicitud del Ministerio del Aire británico (F.18/37) de 1938 que solicitaba dos cazas interceptores fuertemente armados, uno equipado con motor Rolls-Royce Vulture identificado con la letra R y otro con motor Naiper Sabre designado con la letra N. Se construyeron ambos prototipos recibiendo el primero de ellos el nombre de Hawker Tornado pero debido a problemas con el motor Rolls-Royce el proyecto fue finalmente abandonado.

El prototipo con motor Sabre voló por primera vez el 24 de febrero de 1940 pero la caída de Francia en junio provocó que el programa se paralizase para centrarse en la producción del caza Hawker Hurricane y los trabajos no se reiniciaron hasta finales de año. La producción se encargó inicialmente a Gloster ya que tenía relación con la producción de Hawker. El primer Typhoon de serie voló el 26 de mayo de 1941 siendo muy parecido al veterano Hurricane aunque con una característico radiador ventral. 

El Typhoon IA entró en servicio con la RAF en septiembre de 1941 viendo sus primeras acciones de combate en el verano del año siguiente. Sin embargo estas primeras experiencias resultaron decepcionantes, con una velocidad de ascenso lenta y frecuentes fallos en el motor. Todo ello provocó un rápido cambio de motor, el Sabre II, que ofrecía mejores prestaciones. En cuanto al armamento el Typhoon IA estaba armado con 12 ametralladoras Browning de 7´7 mm aunque pronto los cañones (4 cañones Hispano Mark II, estaba diseñado para disparar a través del buje de la hélice de ahí su gran longitud), bombas y lanzacohetes se convirtieron pronto en el armamento estándar de los Typhoon del 2º Tactical Air Force. Pronto enjambres de Typhoon campaban a sus anchas por territorio ocupado causando graves daños a las unidades alemanas en tierra. El tráfico ferroviario se convirtió también en objetivo de estos aparatos destruyendo 150 de ellos al mes. Los medios rodados alemanes fueron los que más sufrieron de sus ataques, engordándose muchas veces las bajas causadas en los medios acorazados alemanes. 


Sin embargo la silueta del Typhoon resultaba muy similar a la del Focke Wulf Fw 190 y por ello muchos fueron derribados por el fuego amigo. Durante el día D los Typhoon se dedicaron a atacar las estaciones de radar alemanas y el tráfico rodado, de hecho, el propio vehículo de Rommel fue atacado resultando herido en la acción. En octubre de 1944 una gran formación de Typhoon fue enviada a atacar el Cuartel General del 15º Armee alemán en Dodrecht (Holanda), en el ataque resultaron muertos 2 generales y 70 oficiales.

Desde 1943 los Typhoon estaban inmersos en misiones de ataque al suelo operando sobre territorio enemigo y algunos de ellos cayeron en sus manos. El primer Typhoon que voló con la Luftwaffe fue el EJ956 SA-I del 486º Sqn. (NZ). El 23 de marzo de 1943 dos de estos aparatos (F/O Smith y F/S Mawson) realizaban una misión Rhubarb cruzando la costa francesa a baja altitud.

Poco después el Typhoon de Mawson fue alcanzado por la flak teniendo que efectuar un aterrizaje de emergencia cerca de Cany-Barville siendo capturado antes de que pudiera ser destruido. El aparato fue reparado volando en el Zirkus Rosarios (T9+GK). El 14 de febrero de 1944 otro Typhoon (JP548 del 174º Sqn.) fue capturado volando también con la mencionada unidad alemana tras sufrir un fallo en el motor cerca de Marigny, Francia. El piloto, F/O Proddow, logró huir y no ser capturado. Finalmente este Typhoon se estrelló en Reinsehlen el 29 de julio de 1944 matando a su piloto, el Feldwebel Gold. Un tercer Typhoon voló con la Luftwaffe, posiblemente del 1º Sqn.

En total se fabricaron 3.330 Typhoon pero a finales de 1945 ya no quedaba ninguno en servicio con la RAF. Un lote de 60 de ellos fueron destinados al reconocimiento armados tan solo con dos cañones de 20 mm y cámaras fotográficas. 


amento estandart del Typhoon debido a problemas con el motor

Fuentes:
DARLOW, S. “Victory Fighters: The Veterans' Story” Bounty Books, 2005
SHORES, D. “Second Tactical Air Force Volume One. Spartan to Normandy, June 1943 to June 1944” Ian Allan, 2004
SHORES, D. “Second Tactical Air Force Volume One. Spartan to Normandy, June 1943 to June 1944” Ian Allan, 2004
THOMAS, C. “Hawker Typhoon” Hall Park Books, 2000
THOMAS, C. “Typhoon and Tempest Aces of World War 2” Osprey, 1999
Pilot's Notes for Typhoon Marks IA and IB; Sabre II or IIA engine (2nd edition)” : Crecy Publications, 2004

English version

The origins of Typhon must be sought in the application of the British Air Ministry (F.18/37), 1938 to send two heavily armed interceptors, one equipped with Rolls-Royce Vulture engine using the letter R and a motor Naiper Sabre designated by the letter N. Both prototypes were built to receive the first of them the name of Hawker Tornado but due to problems with the Rolls-Royce the project was eventually abandoned.


The Sabre-powered prototype first flew on February 24, 1940 but the fall of France in June caused paralyze the program to focus on the Hawker Hurricane fighter production and jobs were not resumed until later this year. Production was initially commissioned as Gloster was related to the production of Hawker. The first series Typhoon flew on May 26, 1941 being very similar to Hurricane veteran but with a characteristic ventral radiator.

The IA Typhoon entered service with the RAF in September 1941 saw its first combat action in the summer of next year. However, these early experiences were disappointing, with a slow rate of ascent and frequent engine failure. This caused a rapid change of engine, the Sabre II, which offered better performance. As for the Typhoon weapons IA was armed with 12 mm machine guns Browning 7'7 but soon the guns (4 guns Hispano Mark II, was designed to fire through the propeller hub hence its great length), bombs and rocket launchers soon became the standard armament of the 2nd Tactical Typhoon Air Force. Soon swarms of Typhoon reigned unchecked in occupied territory causing severe damage to the German units on the ground. Rail traffic also became the target of these devices destroying 150 of them per month. The German media were shot suffered most of their attacks, often fattened casualties from German battleships in the media.

However, the shape of Typhoon was very similar to the Focke Wulf Fw 190 and so many were shot down by friendly fire. During the day the Typhoon D turned to attack the German radar stations and road traffic, in fact, the car itself was attacked Rommel was wounded in action. In October 1944 a formation of Typhoon was sent to attack the headquarters of the German 15th Armee Dodrecht (Holland), the attack killed two generals and 70 officers.


Since 1943 the Typhoon were engaged in ground attack missions over enemy territory and operating some of them fell into their hands. The first Typhoon flew with the Luftwaffe was EJ956 SA-I of 486° Sqn. (NZ). On March 23, 1943 two of these devices (F/O Smith and F/S Mawson) performed a Rhubarb mission crossing the French coast at low altitude.

Shortly after the Mawson's Typhoon was hit by flak having to make an emergency landing near Cany-Barville being caught before he could be destroyed. The aircraft was flying in the Zirkus
Rosaries repaired (T9+GK). On February 14, 1944 another Typhoon (JP548 of 174° Sqn.) Was also caught flying with that German unity after suffering engine failure near Marigny, France. The pilot, F/O Proddow, managed to escape and avoid capture. Finally this Reinsehlen Typhoon crashed on July 29, 1944 killing its pilot, Feldwebel Gold. A third Typhoon flew with the Luftwaffe, possibly from 1 Sqn.

In total 3,330 were built Typhoon but in late 1945 and none remained in service with the RAF. A batch of 60 of them were intended for reconnaissance armed only with two 20 mm guns and cameras.






Sources:
DARLOW, S. “Victory Fighters: The Veterans' Story” Bounty Books, 2005
SHORES, D. “Second Tactical Air Force Volume One. Spartan to Normandy, June 1943 to June 1944” Ian Allan, 2004
SHORES, D. “Second Tactical Air Force Volume One. Spartan to Normandy, June 1943 to June 1944” Ian Allan, 2004
THOMAS, C. “Hawker Typhoon” Hall Park Books, 2000
THOMAS, C. “Typhoon and Tempest Aces of World War 2” Osprey, 1999
Pilot's Notes for Typhoon Marks IA and IB; Sabre II or IIA engine (2nd edition)” : Crecy Publications, 2004

jueves, 9 de agosto de 2012

Réplicas para el cine: Sd.Kfz 223

Sd.Kfz 223

 
Toda la familia Sd.Kfz 22- tenían una estructura muy similar lo que facilitaba su producción en serie. El vehículo fue producido desde 1935 hasta enero de 1944 en las empresas Eisenwerk Weserhutte AG, SMN, Bűssig-NAG, completándose un total de 567 vehículos de ese tipo.

Esta réplica se ha basado en el bastidor de un vehículo comercial sobre el que se ha construido la estructura del blindado alemán. La antena de cuadro es abatible y el conjunto dispone de gran detalle siendo una excelente réplica del original alemán. Este vehículo ha sido utilizado ya en varias recreaciones históricas junto a otro material original de la época, como por ejemplo cañones anticarro, antiaéreos y otros vehículos (originales y réplicas).



English version

The whole family Sd.Kfz 22 - had a very similar structure which facilitated its production. The vehicle was produced from 1935 until January of 1944 firms Weserhutte Eisenwerk AG, SMN, Bűssig-NAG, completing a total of 567 such vehicles.

This replica is based on the frame of a commercial vehicle on which is built German armored structure. The loop antenna is hinged and the set has great detail to be an excellent replica of the original German. This vehicle has been used on several other historical recreations with original material of the era, such as anti-tank guns, aircraft and other vehicles (originals and replicas).


 

miércoles, 8 de agosto de 2012

StuG III Ausf D

Sturmgeschütz III Ausf D


El StuG III Ausf D resultó muy similar a la versión anterior, el Ausf C, pero con algunas modificaciones. La más importante fue el aumento de su blindaje frontal, aumentado a 50 mm, y una señal para llamar la atención del conductor del vehículo. Algunos de los Ausf D fueron construidos con un cajón blindado en el lado derecho, además del izquierdo de serie, para dar cabida a un equipo de radio adicional para funciones de mando. Este modelo vino a suplir algunas de las pérdidas sufridas a lo largo de 1941 ya que en este año se perdieron 105 StuG III, el resto fueron destinados a la creación de nuevos destacamentos como por el ejemplo el Abt. zbV. 288 (Destacamento para uso Especial 288). Un grupo de ellos fueron enviados al norte de África a principios de 1942

Su producción se prolongó desde mayo a septiembre de 1941 completándose un total de 150 vehículos. El vehículo estaba equipado con un motor Maybach HL120TRM de 320 hp que le permitía desarrollar 40 Km/h en carretera con una autonomía de 160 Km.

  

Fuentes:
MICHULEC, R. “Panzer-Division 1935-1945 (1) The Early Years 1935-1941” Concord, 2000
CULVER, B. “Sturmgeschütz in action Squadron/Signal, 1976
JENTZ, T. “The Stug III Assault Gun, 1940-42” Osprey, 1996

English version

The StuG III Ausf D was very similar to the previous version, the Ausf C, but with some modifications. The most important was the increase in its frontal armor, increased to 50 mm, and a signal to alert the driver. Some of the Ausf D were built with an armored box on the right side, left the series in addition, to accommodate an additional radio control functions. This model came to meet some of the losses over 1941 and that this year 105 were lost StuG III, the rest were for the creation of new detachments and by example the Abt. zbV. 288 (Special Purpose Detachment 288). A group of them were sent to North Africa in early 1942

Its production lasted from May to September 1941, completing a total of 150 vehicles. The vehicle was equipped with an engine of 320 hp Maybach HL120 TRM that allowed him to develop 40 km/h on the highway with a range of 160 km

 

Sources:
MICHULEC, R. “Panzer-Division 1935-1945 (1) The Early Years 1935-1941” Concord, 2000
CULVER, B. “Sturmgeschütz in action Squadron/Signal, 1976
JENTZ, T. “The Stug III Assault Gun, 1940-42” Osprey, 1996

martes, 7 de agosto de 2012

La aviación Yugoslava

Jugoslovensko Kraljevsko Ratno Vazduhoplovstvo  (JKRV)


Las fuerzas aéreas yugoslavas era una rama del ejército muy nueva, con escaso entrenamiento, con lo que había conseguido poca integración en la defensa del territorio nacional. Cuando la Wehrmacht se lanzó al ataque el 6 de abril de 1941 disponían de mucho equipo de origen alemán pero la aviación yugoslava, al igual que le sucediese a Bélgica o a Polonia, perdió muchos aparatos destruidos en tierra. Las Fuerzas Aéreas yugoslavas disponían de unos 500 aparatos entre sus filas. Disponía de 8 grupos de caza que encuadraba a 73 Bf 109 E-3 (27 de ellos estaban en tierra sin poder volar por problemas con el motor y carentes de repuestos), 40 Hurricane Mk Ia, 24 Hawker Fury II, 12 Ikarus IK-3 (solo 6 de ellos estaban disponibles) y 6 Ikarus IK-2. También disponían de 14 Grupos de bombardeo con 45 SM 79B, 70 Do 17K (un tercio de ellos resultaron destruidos en tierra el día 6 de abril) y 30 Blenheim Mk I. En total los Yugoslavos disponían de unos 180 cazas, 160 bombarderos y 40 aviones de reconocimiento, aunque no todos estaban operativos. Gran parte de los cazas desplegados eran modelos anticuados con el Hurricane Mk I o el biplano Hawker Fury I y II. Como hemos visto entre sus filas contaba con bombarderos de origen alemán, 70 Do 17 K que fue la versión destinada a la exportación de modo que los alemanes se enfrentaron a sus propios aparatos cuando invadieron Yugoslavia.

Podría parecer contraproducente el hecho de vender material militar a una potencia que posteriormente vas ha invadir pero se ha de recordar que cuando los Dornier llegaron a suelo yugoslavo en el poder se encontraba un gobierno pro alemán. La inmensa mayoría de las fuerzas aéreas resultaron destruidas en el transcurso de las batallas aéreas y durante los continuos ataques a los campos de aviación. Como medida preventiva muchas de las escuadrillas fueron dispersadas para evitar en la medida de lo posible su destrucción en tierra, como hicieron los polacos en 1939, pero esta medida si bien evitó su destrucción en tierra acarreó otros problemas inherentes, como la falta de concentración de tropas.


Durante los combates aéreos los Bf 109 E-3 yugoslavos se confundieron en ocasiones con aparatos alemanes ya que además de que era un aparato alemán la insignia empleada por la aviación yugoslava tenía cierto parecido con la cruz balcánica. Los Gruppen alemanes decidieron conservar su identificación de morros amarillos para evitar confusiones. Los cazas de fabricación nacional como el Rogozarski IK-3 demostró ser un caza capaz de batirse con máquinas más modernas que él, obteniendo resultados interesantes.

Fuente:
ORMEÑO, J. “Messerschmitt Bf 109. El cazador de la Luftwaffe

English version

Yugoslav Air Force was a very new branch of the military, with little training, which had achieved little integration in the defense of national territory. When the Wehrmacht launched the attack on April 6, 1941 possessed a lot of equipment of German origin but the Yugoslav aviation, as you happen to Belgium or Poland, lost many units destroyed on the ground. The Yugoslav air force of about 500 units available in their ranks. It had 8 framed hunting groups to 73 Bf 109 E-3 (27 of them were on the ground unable to fly by engine problems and lack of spare parts), 40 Hurricane Mk Ia, 24 Hawker Fury II, 12 Ikarus IK- 3 (only 6 of them were available) and 6 Ikarus IK-2. They also had 14 groups with 45 bombing SM 79B, 70 Do 17K (one third of them were destroyed on the ground on April 6) and 30 Blenheim Mk I. In all the Yugoslavs possessed about 180 fighters, 160 bombers and 40 reconnaissance aircraft, although not all were in operation. Many of the fighters were deployed outdated models with the Hurricane Mk I Hawker Fury biplane or I and II. As we have seen their ranks had German bombers, 70 Do 17 K that was the version for export so that the Germans faced their own devices when they invaded Yugoslavia.


It may seem counterproductive to the fact of selling military equipment to a power that has invaded but then you have to remember that when Yugoslav soil Dornier arrived in power was pro-German government. The vast majority of air forces were destroyed during the air battles and during the continuing attacks on airfields. As a precaution, many of the squadrons were dispersed to avoid the possible destruction on land, as did the Poles in 1939, but this measure while avoiding destruction on land brought other inherent problems, like lack of concentration troops.

During air combat the Bf 109 E-3 Yugoslav sometimes confused with German equipment and also that he was a German unit insignia used by the Yugoslav aviation had some resemblance to the cross Balkans. The Germans decided Groups retain their identification of yellow hills to avoid confusion. Domestically produced fighters like the Rogozarski IK-3 proved to be a fighter capable of fighting with modern machines it, getting interesting results.


Source:
ORMEÑO, J. “Messerschmitt Bf 109. El cazador de la Luftwaffe

lunes, 6 de agosto de 2012

Aikoku Maru

El destino del crucero auxiliar
Aikoku Maru


El Aikoku Maru fue construido como transatlántico mixto de 10.348 toneladas y botado el 31 de agosto de 1941 se transformó en crucero auxiliar con el estallido de la guerra. El buque recibió 8 cañones antiaéreos de 140 mm, 2 de 76´2 mm, 4 ametralladoras de 25,5 mm, 2 ametralladoras de 13,5 mm y dos montajes dobles de tubos lanzatorpedos. También se le equipó con dos hidroaviones de reconocimiento Kawanishi E7K. El 15 de octubre de 1941 el Aikoku Maru junto con sus buques hermanos, Hokoku Maru y Gokoku Maru, fueron asignados a la división de cruceros auxiliares Nº 24.

Estos buques se dedican a interceptar buques mercantes hundiendo al SS Vicente (13 de diciembre de 1941) y al SS Malama (2 de enero de 1942). Desde febrero hasta junio de 1942, actúa como abastecedor de submarinos en alta mar y el 12 de julio de ese año, operando con su buque gemelo, Hokoku Maru, apresan al buque cisterna neozelandés SS Hairaka que es llevado a puerto con una dotación de presa. Este buque compartiría un par de años más tarde la suerte de su atacante.

Desde 1943 el Aikoku Maru desarrolla labores de transporte de tropas en el Pacífico. El 10 de julio de ese mismo año sufre el ataque de un avión del USS Halibut que le causa 21 bajas y algunos daños. El 16 de febrero de 1944 alcanza el arrecife de Truk cargado de tropas desde Ponapé sin saber que la inmensa flota Task Force 58 se encuentra preparada para atacar las posiciones japonesas en el arrecife. 

 Aikoku Maru 1941

Al día siguiente comienza el ataque norteamericano sobre Truk en la denominada operación Hailstorm. En ese momento la 1º Brigada Anfibia se encontraba a bordo del Aikoku Maru. Durante los primeros compases del ataque un certero impacto de un Grumman Avenger alcanza la cubierta del transatlántico provocando un incendio que se propaga con rapidez. Un segundo aparato del mismo tipo se lanza sobre el  buque logrando un impacto sobre el cargamento de municiones estallando en una gran bola de fuego. La explosión fue de tal magnitud que el Avenger resultó destruido también devorado por las llamas.

La gran explosión desintegró una mitad del navío mientras que la otra era engullida por el mar rápidamente. Nadie de los que se encontraban a bordo logró sobrevivir a esta explosión y su capitán Nakamaruo, tripulación y muchos de sus pasajeros yacen en el arrecife de Truk junto con los restos del Aikoku Maru. En el 2008 se procedió a la repatriación de cuerpos de este naufragio. 

 Instante de la explosión del  Aikoku Maru

Fuentes:
BALLEY, D. “World War II Wercks of the Truk Lagoon” North Valley, 2001
STEVART, W. “Ghost Fleet of the Truk Lagoon: An Account of "Operation Hailstone", FebruaryPictorial Histories Pub Co, 1986
LINDEMAN, K. “Hailstorm Over Truk Lagoon: Operations Against Truk by Carrier Task Force 58, 17 and 18 February 1944, and the Shipwrecks of World War II” Resource Publications, 2005

English version

The Aikoku Maru was built as a transatlantic joint 10,348 tons and launched on August 31, 1941 became an auxiliary cruiser with the outbreak of war. The ship received 8 AA guns 140 mm, 2 of 76.2 mm, 4 machine guns 25.5 mm, 2 machine guns 13.5 mm and two twin torpedo tubes mounts. It is also equipped with two Kawanishi reconnaissance seaplanes E7K. On 15 October 1941 Aikoku Maru with its sister ships, Gokoku Maru and Hokoku Maru, and were assigned to the division of auxiliary cruisers No. 24.

These vessels are engaged in sinking merchant ships to intercept SS Vincent (December 13, 1941) and the SS Malama (January 2, 1942). From February to June 1942, acting as a supplier of submarines at sea and on 12 July of that year, working with its sister ship, Hokoku Maru, apprehend the tanker SS Hairaka Zealander who is led to port with a budget of prey . This ship would share a couple of years later the fate of his attacker.


Since 1943 the work develops Aikoku Maru transporting troops in the Pacific. On July 10 of that year is attacked by an aircraft of the USS Halibut that causes 21 casualties and some damage. On February 16, 1944 reaches the reef full of troops from Ponape  to Truk unaware that the vast fleet Task Force 58 is ready to attack Japanese positions on the reef.

The next day begins the American attack on Truk in the operation called Hailstorm. At that time the 1st Amphibious Brigade was on board the Aikoku Maru. During the early stages of attack a certain impact of a Grumman Avenger reaches the deck of the liner causing a fire that spreads rapidly. A second unit of the same type is cast on the ship making an impact on the shipment of ammunition exploding in a fireball. The explosion was so great that the Avenger was destroyed also devoured by the flames.

The great explosion disintegrated half of the ship while the other was quickly swallowed by the sea. None of those who were on board managed to survive the explosion and Nakamaruo captain, crew and many passengers lying on the reef of Truk along with the remains of Aikoku Maru. In 2008 he proceeded to the repatriation of remains of this shipwreck.




Sources:
BALLEY, D. “World War II Wercks of the Truk Lagoon” North Valley, 2001
STEVART, W. “Ghost Fleet of the Truk Lagoon: An Account of "Operation Hailstone", FebruaryPictorial Histories Pub Co, 1986
LINDEMAN, K. “Hailstorm Over Truk Lagoon: Operations Against Truk by Carrier Task Force 58, 17 and 18 February 1944, and the Shipwrecks of World War II” Resource Publications, 2005