Buscar este blog

miércoles, 30 de mayo de 2012

U-1209


U-1209 y HMCS Montreal

 
El U-1209 era un U-Boot del Tipo VIIc ordenado el 2 de abril de 1942 construido en los astilleros F.Schichau GmbH, en Danzig, y botado el 9 de febrero de 1944. Este U-Boot sólo estuvo bajo el mando del OL Ewald Hülsenbeck durante todo su servicio.

Sus tres primeras patrullas transcurrieron sin percances, pero también sin ningún éxito desde el 14 de noviembre de 1944 hasta el regreso de su tercera patrulla el 25 de noviembre de ese mismo año cuando alcanzó Farsund.

El 26 de noviembre volvió a echarse a la mar rumbo a aguas británicas, dónde debía patrullar el Canal de la Mancha y atacar el tráfico marítimo de la zona. El 18 de diciembre el U-1209 se encontraba navegando en inmersión cuando colisionó contra una roca quedando varado cerca de Wolf Rock. Ante la imposibilidad de rescatar y reparar al U-Boot el capitán ordenó abandonar la nave y fue barrenado. En el accidente murieron 10 de sus tripulantes, incluyendo al comandante, sobreviviendo 44 hombres de su tripulación.

La corveta canadiense HMCS Montreal (K319) encontró a los supervivientes alemanes y los rescató del mar. Esta embarcación estaba asignada al grupo EG C-4 con base en St. John  (Newfoundland) y participó de forma muy activa en la escolta de mercantes hasta que en septiembre de 1944 se unió al Grupo de Escolta EG 26. 



Fuente:
CANTIN, R. “The Sacrifice of the Royal Canadian Navy - 1910-1968, Volume 2Quebec, 2010
NIESTLE, A. “German U-Boot losses during World War II ” Naval Institute Press 1998
BLAIR, C. “Hitler´s U-Boat war” Random House, 1998
WYNN, K. “U-Boat operations of the Second World War” Naval Institute Press 1998

English version

The U-1209 was a Type U-Boot VIIc ordered the April 2, 1942 built in the shipyards F. Schichau GmbH in Danzig, and launched on February 9, 1944. This U-boat was only under the command of Ewald Hiilsenbeck OL throughout his service.

His first three patrols passed safely, but without success since November 14, 1944 until the return of her third patrol on 25 November of that year when it reached Farsund.

On November 26, returned to take to the sea to British waters, where to patrol the Channel and attack shipping in the area. On December 18, 1209 U-immersion was sailing when he collided stranded on a rock near Wolf Rock. Unable to recover and repair the U-boat captain ordered abandon ship and was scuttled. The accident killed 10 of its crew, including the commander, surviving 44 men of his crew.

The corvette HMCS Montreal Canada (K319) found the Germans and rescued survivors from the sea. This boat was assigned to EG C-4 group based in St. John (Newfoundland) and participated very actively in the escort of merchant until September 1944 he joined Escort Group EG 26.


 Source:
CANTIN, R. “The Sacrifice of the Royal Canadian Navy - 1910-1968, Volume 2Quebec, 2010
NIESTLE, A. “German U-Boot losses during World War II ” Naval Institute Press 1998
BLAIR, C. “Hitler´s U-Boat war” Random House, 1998
WYNN, K. “U-Boat operations of the Second World War” Naval Institute Press 1998

martes, 29 de mayo de 2012

Aeródromos de la IIGM: Aeródromos de Iwo Jima


Aeródromos de Iwo Jima



Aeródromo de Motoyama No.1

Ubicado en la esquina sur de Iwo Jima, situada en la meseta Motoyama, al norte del Monte Surabachi. Construido por los japoneses, la base incluye tres pistas que se cruzan. Utilizado por los japoneses hasta el 19 de febrero 1945, cuando los infantes de marina desembarcados.

Located on the south corner of Iwo Jima, Motoyama located on the plateau, north of Mount Surabachi. Built by the Japanese, the base includes three tracks that cross. Used by the Japanese until February 19, 1945, when the Marines landed.

Unidades de la base japonesa de Iwo Jima
301a Kokutai (Mitsubishi A6M) junio-julio 1944

La pista de aterrizaje se convirtió en un campo de batalla durante la batalla de Iwo Jima. La pista se puso en marcha por los norteamericanos aún con la batalla en marcha. El 26 de febrero de 1945, un avión estadounidense desembarcó por primera vez en la pista, un OY Sentinel-1, pilotado por el teniente Harvey Olson de observación marina Escuadrón No.4. Más tarde, el 4 de marzo, con la batalla aún en marcha, un B-29 aterrizó de emergencia, el primero de 2400 los aterrizajes de emergencia por aviones estadounidenses en Iwo Jima. Varios aparatos japoneses fueron abandonados y capturados en el aeropuerto incluido Ki-46-III Dina.

 ista aéra desde el sur (centro) Motoyama No 2 (al fondo) Motoyama No 1 y Mt Suribachi



The airstrip became a battlefield during the Battle of Iwo Jima. The track was set up by the Americans even with the ongoing battle. On February 26, 1945, a U.S. plane first landed on the track, OY Sentinel-1, piloted by Lieutenant Harvey Marine Observation Squadron Olson No.4. Later, on March 4, with the battle still in progress, a B-29 emergency landing, the first of 2,400 emergency landings by U.S. planes on Iwo Jima. Several Japanese planes were abandoned and captured at the airport including Ki-46-III Dinah.

Unidades americanas basadas en 'Central Field'
21st FG, 72nd FS, 531st FS (P-51) Mokuleia March 26, 1945
American Units Based at Iwo Jima (Unsure which airfield)
7th FC HQ Hawaii March 1, 1945 - ?
15th FG, 78th FS (P-51) March 1, 1945 - ?
15th FG HQ Hawaii March 6, 1945 - ?
548th NFS (P-61) Saipan March 6, 1945 - ?
549th NFS (P-61) from Hawaii/Saipan March 20, 1945 - ?
433d TCG, 67th TCS (C-46) Clark Field Aug 27, 1945 - ? 
548th NFS (P-61) Saipan Mar 6 - June 8, 1945 Ie Shima

Aeródromo de Motoyama No. 2
Ubicado en el centro de Iwo Jima. Construido por los japoneses.

Utilizado por los japoneses y se utiliza como un campo de aviación y la posición de defenseive hasta el asalto USMC el 19 de febrero de 1945. Varios aviones japoneses fueron abandonados en el campo de aviación.

Después de la batalla, fue reparado y alargado por las fuerzas estadounidenses para dar cabida a B-29 haciendo aterrizajes de emergencia. Conocido por los estadounidenses como 'North Field'. Se trata de la franja sólo todavía en uso en la isla, código de aeropuerto: RJAW. Se utiliza como base para las fuerzas de Auto Defensa de Japón.




Located in the center of Iwo Jima. Built by the Japanese.

Used by the Japanese and used as an airfield and position to assault defenseive USMC on February 19, 1945. Several Japanese planes were abandoned in the airfield.

After the battle, was repaired and enlarged by U.S. forces to accommodate B-29 making emergency landings. Known to Americans as 'North Field'. This is the only band still in use on the island, airport code: RJAW. It is used as the basis for Self-Defense Forces of Japan.

Unidades americanas basadas en North Field
506th FG, HQ, 462nd FS (P-51) USA April 24, 45
506th FG, 457th FS (P-51) USA April 24, 45
506th FG, 458th FS (P-51) USA April 24, 45
414th FG, HQ US July 7, 1945
414th FG, 413th FS US (P-47) July 7, 1945 –
414th FG, 437th FS US (P-47) July 7, 1945 –
414th FG, 456th FS US (P-47) July 7, 1945 –



Aeródromo de Motoyama No. 3
Situado en el centro norte de Iwo Jima. Esta pista se encontraba en construcción por los japoneses, pero nunca se terminó antes de la invasión estadounidense el 19 de febrero de 1945.

Después de la ocupación, la zona fue convertida en revestimientos de aeronaves y las instalaciones para apoyar a las otras dos pistas en la isla.

Located in the northern center of Iwo Jima. This track was under construction by the Japanese, but never completed before the U.S. invasion on February 19, 1945. After the occupation, the area was converted into coatings for aircraft and facilities to support the other two tracks on the island.


Fuentes/Sources:
MAURER, M. “Air Force Combat Units Of World War II”. Maxwell AFB, Office of Air Force History, 1983
Strategic Atolls, Tuvela and the Second World War
MUELLER, R. “Active Air Force Bases within the United States of America on 17 de September 1982” Office of Air Force History, 1989
RAVENSTEIN, C.A.Air Force Combat Wings lineage and Honors Histories 1947-1977” Office of Air Force History, 1984

lunes, 28 de mayo de 2012

Sd.Kfz 301


Sd.Kfz 301 Borgward

 
Los inicios de los vehículos destinados a la destrucción de bunkers y limpieza de campos minados recayeron en los veteranos PzKpfw I, surgiendo esta necesidad durante la campaña de Francia en mayo de 1940. Para la destrucción de posiciones defensivas se modificaron 10 PzKPfw I Ausf B que fueron usados en combate por la 1. Panzer Division - Pioniereeinheits 3. Pionierekompanie.

Tras estas primeras experiencias se decidió diseñar un vehículo específico para tal cometido en  octubre de 1941 se le encargó a Borgward el desarrollo del VK 302 B III ladungsträger schwere - B IV SdKfz. 301, para lo que se basó en las experiencias obtenidas con el BI y BII. El nuevo diseño recibió la designación de BIV y para el Waffenamt, Sprengladungsträger (SdKfz. 301). El resultado alcanzaba un peso final de 3,6 toneladas y estaba motorizado con el mismo motor utilizado en el VK 302, lo que le permitía alcanzar una velocidad máxima de 38 Km/h. Estaba tripulado por un solo hombre que lo conducía hasta el lugar de reunión, después se abatía su puesto que le proporcionaba un blindaje de 8 mm al equipo de radio para después ser radio guiado hasta su objetivo final dónde se detonaría. En su interior se almacenaba una carga explosiva de 500 Kg protegida por una placa frontal de blindaje.
 

En abril de 1942 se construyó un lote inicial de 12 de estos vehículos comenzando su producción en serie en el mes de mayo hasta completar un total de 616 Borgward IV Ausf. A en junio de 1943. Tras estos se comenzó con el Ausf B, con 260 vehículos terminados hasta noviembre de ese mismo año a los que se sumarían otros 305 Ausf C fabricados desde diciembre de 1943 hasta septiembre de 1944. En total se completaron 1.193 vehículos entre todos sus modelos.

El Ausf B difería de su antecesor en el peso, con 400 Kg más, la posición de la antena y el equipo de radio. Por su parte el Ausf C pesaba 4,85 toneladas con 4,1 metros de largo y estaba mejor blindado. Dispuso de unas nuevas orugas y el puesto de conductor fue movido del lado derecho al izquierdo. Más tarde, con la producción ya en marcha, se transformaron 56 Borgward IV en Panzerjäger Wanze, armados con 6 Panzerbüchsen 54 de 88 mm en las fases finales de la contienda. También fue reconstruido un Borgward IV Ausf B para proporcionarle capacidad anfibia siendo probado en este nuevo cometido. En 1943 otro de los Borgward IV fue equipado con una cámara de televisión para mejorar el control del vehículo. 



Fuentes:
JENTZ, T. “Funklenk Panzertruppen AFV-News issue Sept-Dec 1986
JENTZ, T. “Panzertruppen Volume 1. 1933-42”, “Panzertruppen Volume 2. 1943-45
SVENSSON, K. “German remote-controlled AFVsSPHF issues #3/97 & 4/97

English version

The beginnings of vehicles intended to destroy bunkers and minefields cleaning fell on PzKpfw I veterans, this need arise during the French campaign in May 1940. For the destruction of defensive positions were changed 10 PzKpfw I Ausf B that were used in combat by 1. Panzer Division - Pioniereeinheits 3. Pionierekompanie.

After these first experiments we decided to design a specific vehicle for this task in October 1941 he was commissioned to develop the Borgward B III VK 302 ladungsträger schwere - B IV SdKfz. 301, for which was based on experiences with the BI and BII. The new design was designated BIV and the Waffenamt, Sprengladungsträger (SdKfz. 301). The result reached a final weight of 3.6 tons and was powered by the same engine used in the VK 302, allowing it to reach a top speed of 38 km / h. It was manned by one man who was driving to the venue, after beating down his position that gave him a shield of 8 mm to radio and then be guided to its target radius end where detonate. Inside is housed a 500 kg payload protected by a shield faceplate.



In April 1942 he built an initial batch of 12 of these vehicles into series production starting in May for a total of 616 Borgward IV Ausf. A in June 1943. After these was started with the Ausf B, with 260 finished vehicles until November of that year which would add another 305 Ausf C manufactured from December 1943 to September 1944. A total of 1,193 completed vehicles across all its models.

The Ausf B differed from its predecessor in weight with 400 kg more, the position of the antenna and radio equipment. In turn, the Ausf C weighed 4.85 tonnes to 4.1 meters long and was well shielded. It had a few new tracks and the driving position was moved from right to left. Later, with production already underway, became 56 Borgward IV in Panzerjäger Wanze, armed with 6 Panzerbüchsen 54 of 88 mm in the final stages of the war. He was also reconstructed a Borgward IV Ausf B to provide amphibious capability being tested in this new role. In 1943 another Borgward IV was equipped with a television camera to improve vehicle control.



Fuentes:
JENTZ, T. “Funklenk Panzertruppen AFV-News issue Sept-Dec 1986
JENTZ, T. “Panzertruppen Volume 1. 1933-42”, “Panzertruppen Volume 2. 1943-45
SVENSSON, K. “German remote-controlled AFVsSPHF issues #3/97 & 4/97

sábado, 26 de mayo de 2012

Exhumación en Riga. (Letonia)


Exhumación en Riga. (Letonia)

 
La zona está situada al sur de Riga, en una zona dominada por las trincheras alemanas que defendían el sector a finales del verano de 1944. En esas fechas se libraron duros combates por el control de la zona sur de la capital letona.

En una de las fosas se encontró una chapa de identificación pero se deshizo literalmente en las manos de sus recuperadores. Lamentablemente no habían otros datos para poder identificar a los dos soldados alemanes encontrados. No murieron dónde fueron enterrados, en una trinchera, y muy probablemente fuesen enterrados por la población local.

Uno de ellos tenía un casco Mod. 1940 y el otro Mod.1935 encontrado en la misma trinchera a cinco metros de distancia. Por la dentadura se ha aclarado que se trata de soldados jóvenes. Los restos fueron cuidadosamente recogidos y enterrados en uno de los cementerios militares alemanes que hay en Letonia como “soldado desconocido”.



English version

The area is located south of Riga, in an area dominated by the German trenches defending the sector in the late summer of 1944. At that time were fought fierce battles for control of the southern part of the Latvian capital.

In one of the graves was found a nameplate but literally fell apart in the hands of recuperators. Unfortunately there were no other data to identify the two German soldiers found. They did not die where they were buried in a trench, and were probably buried by the local population.

One of them had a helmet Mod Mod.1935 1940 and another found in the same trench five meters away. For the teeth has been clarified that these are young soldiers. The remains were carefully collected and buried in one of the German military cemeteries in Latvia there as "unknown soldier".

 Remains of one of the soldiers, equipped with a helmet Mod.1940

viernes, 25 de mayo de 2012

Autoblinda AB 40


Autoblinda 40 – AB 40


Al estallar la contienda el Ejército italiano no disponía de un vehículo de exploración moderno, recayendo esta misión principalmente en el ya obsoleto Ansaldo Lancia 1 ZM 4x2. Con esta perspectiva Fiat comenzó a trabajar sobre un nuevo diseño a finales de los años 30 para proveer a la policía colonial y al cuerpo de caballería de un nuevo y más moderno vehículo. De este modo en 1939 se presentó el prototipo bajo la designación oficial de Autoblinda Abm 1.

El prototipo fue testado en los campos de pruebas tras lo que se solicitaron varias modificaciones en el diseño original. Su frontal fue rediseñado casi por completo, incluyendo los faros que estaban desprotegidos totalmente. La cámara del motor también sufrió modificaciones para mejorar la ventilación y evitar el recalentamiento del motor. Los trabajos se prolongaron hasta marzo de 1940 y fue de nuevo probado en los polígonos de pruebas recibiendo el nombre de Autoblinda AB 40.

 
El vehículo disponía de cuatro ruedas, con tracción 4x4, y disponía de un armamento de tres ametralladoras Breda 36 de 8 mm, montadas en la torreta. Su blindaje, una vez más remachado, tenía un espesor máximo de 18 mm. La potencia motora la proporcionaba un motor de gasolina SPA de 6 cilindros que rendía 88 hp situado en su parte trasera. En cuanto a su transmisión disponía de 6 velocidades hacia delante y 4 hacia atrás que daba buenos resultados. Al igual que sucedería posteriormente con el AB 41, sus ruedas de repuesto colgaban de los laterales sujetas por un eje pero libres para girar lo que le proporcionaba una gran capacidad para superar obstáculos verticales. Con todo el vehículo alcanzaba una velocidad máxima de 76 Km/h. Disponía de un puesto de conducción delante y otro detrás, al igual que el SdKfz 213 o el AB 41, y un sistema que le permitía tener dirección en las cuatro ruedas.

Fuentes:
BISHOP, C. “The Encyclopedia of Weapons: From World War II to the Present Day” Thunder Bay Press, 2006
CHAMBERLAIN, P. &  DOYLE, H. “Encyclopedia Of German Tanks Of World War Two. The Complete Illustrated Dictionary of German Battle Tanks, Armoured Cars, Self-Propelled Guns and Semi-Track 1933-1945” Sterling, 1999
McNAB, C. & TREWHITT, P. “Fighting Vehicles of the World: Over 550 Tanks and AFV’s of the World” 2004

English version

At the outbreak of war the Italian Army did not have a modern exploration vehicle, falling mainly on this mission obsolete Lancia Ansaldo 1 ZM 4x2. With this perspective Fiat started working on a new design in the late 30's to provide the colonial police and cavalry of a new and more modern vehicle. Thus in 1939 the prototype was presented under the official designation of Autoblinda Abm 1.

The prototype was tested in field trials after which called for several changes to the original design. His face was almost completely redesigned, including headlights that were totally unprotected. The camera of this engine was modified to improve ventilation and prevent overheating of the engine. The work continued until March 1940 and was again tested in the test ranges Autoblinda receiving the name of AB 40.

The vehicle had four wheels, 4x4, and had a Breda machine gun armament of three 36, 8 mm, mounted in the turret. Its shielding riveted once again, having a maximum thickness of 18 mm. The motive power was provided by a gasoline engine SPA yielded 6-cylinder 88 hp located at the back. In terms of available transmission 6 speeds forward and 4 reverse that gave good results. As would be subsequently with the AB 41, spare wheels hung from the side attached by a shaft but free to rotate which gave her a great capacity to overcome obstacles vertical. With all the vehicle reached a maximum speed of 76 Km / h. It had a cockpit in front and behind, like the SdKfz 213 or AB 41, and a system that allowed him to have four-wheel steering.





Sources:
BISHOP, C. “The Encyclopedia of Weapons: From World War II to the Present Day” Thunder Bay Press, 2006
CHAMBERLAIN, P. &  DOYLE, H. “Encyclopedia Of German Tanks Of World War Two. The Complete Illustrated Dictionary of German Battle Tanks, Armoured Cars, Self-Propelled Guns and Semi-Track 1933-1945” Sterling, 1999
McNAB, C. & TREWHITT, P. “Fighting Vehicles of the World: Over 550 Tanks and AFV’s of the World” 2004

jueves, 24 de mayo de 2012

Recuperación de un PzKpfw III


Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf J



El vehículo fue recuperado del fondo de un río a principios del año 2002 y como se puede apreciar en las imágenes se encuentra en excelentes condiciones de conservación, que mejorarán tras una buena limpieza a fondo. A pesar de mis esfuerzos no he podido averiguar gran cosa sobre este magnífico ejemplar salvo que se conserva y se expone uno idéntico en Ucrania (podría ser incluso el mismo vehículo)

Tras unos pequeños ajustes, se inicia el último tramo de la operación.

English version

The vehicle was recovered from the bottom of a river in early 2002, as seen in the images is in excellent preservation conditions, which will improve after a good cleaning. Despite my efforts I could not find much about this magnificent specimen unless it is preserved and exhibits an identical one in the Ukraine (maybe even the same vehicle)

 The vehicle once above water. It may be noted the excellent state of preservation.

 The vehicle was disassembled for thorough cleaning and restoration.

A similar pattern (if not the same) exposed in Ukraine.

miércoles, 23 de mayo de 2012

El destino del Prinz Eugen


Prinz Eugen, superviviente hasta el final

 
El crucero pesado Prinz Eugen fue botado el 22 de agosto de 1938 tras dos años de trabajo desde su inicio. Tenía un desplazamiento de 18.750 toneladas, 207,7 metros de eslora y contaba con 8 cañones de 203 mm como armamento principal, 12 de 105 mm, 12 de 37 mm, 8 de 20 mm y 6 tubos lanzatorpedos. Disponía de una catapulta para el lanzamiento de alguno de sus 3 hidroaviones Arado Ar 96. Lograba desarrollar 32 nudos de velocidad y tenía una dotación de 42 oficiales y 1.340 marineros.

El Prinz Eugen fue capturado por los aliados tras la finalización de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, el 7 de mayo de 1945 fue dado de baja en la Kriegsmarine. Veinte días más tarde, junto con el crucero ligero Nürnberg fueron escoltados por cruceros británicos (Dido y Devonshire) hasta alcanzar el puerto de Wilhelmshaven. A finales de año, el 13 de diciembre, el Prinz Eugen fue regalado como botín de guerra a los Estados Unidos y fue trasladado a Wesermünde. Fue comisionado en la marina como USS Prinz Eugen (IX-300) con una tripulación mixta de alemanes y americanos bajo el mando del capitán A. H. Graubart. Partió el día 13 de enero llegando a Boston el día 22 de enero de 1946 dónde fue minuciosamente revisado por personal de la marina y se le retiró el radar pasivo GHG de gran alcance para instalárselo al submarino USS Flying Fish para su evaluación. No fue lo único que deparó su exhaustivo examen pues diversos hallazgos en el sistema de su control de incendios despertó gran interés.

Poco después fue elegido como blanco para la Operación Crossroads en el atolón de Bikini que se desarrollaría en el verano de aquel año. El Prinz Eugen fue remolcado sin tripulación hasta el Pacífico desde Filadelfia atravesando el Canal de Panamá. La Operación constaba de tres detonaciones; Able, detonada a una altura de 158 metros (1 de julio de 1946) y lanzada desde un B-29 con una potencia de 21 kilotones. Baker, por su parte, fue detonada 27 metros por debajo de la superficie del mar el 25 de julio. La tercera hubiese sido Charlie pero fue anulada debido a la elevada contaminación radiactiva que provocó Baker



El desafortunado Prinz Eugen no fue el único buque designado como blanco para ver el efecto de una detonación nuclear sobre una flota. Otros 90 navíos sufrieron este destino tan deshonesto, incluyendo el acorazado japonés Nagato y el portaaviones USS Saratoga. Sorprendentemente el crucero alemán logró sobrevivir a la explosión de las dos bombas atómicas pero resultó contaminado por la lluvia radiactiva posterior sin sufrir daños estructurales apreciables. Tras las pruebas fue remolcado de nuevo hasta el atolón de Kwajalein, en el Pacífico central,  dónde se abrió una pequeña vía de agua quedó sin reparar. El 29 de agosto de 1946, tras sobrevivir a la Segunda Guerra Mundial y a dos pruebas nucleares el Prinz Eugen fue dado de baja en la Marina de los Estados Unidos.

A finales de diciembre el crucero alemán se encontraba en muy malas condiciones y el día 21 comenzó a escorarse. Los daños eran graves y no daba tiempo a que un equipo de salvamento reparase esos daños. Para evitar su total hundimiento la Marina trató de encallarlo pero no lo lograron porque al día siguiente escoró por completo hundiéndose. Al darse la vuelta sus torretas principales se desprendieron del casco y cayendo al fondo, sin embargo los ensamblajes de sus hélices permanecieron sobre la superficie del mar. El gobierno estadounidense denegó los derechos de salvamento basándose en que no quería que el acero irradiado del Prinz Eugen acabara en el mercado. No fue hasta agosto de 1979 cuando una de sus enormes hélices fue retirada para ser trasladada al Marine-Ehrenmal Laboe en Alemania para ser utilizada como memorial.

Sus restos se encuentran junto a la isla Ennubuj y va desde la superficie del mar hasta una profundidad de 35 metros. Es una inmersión muy interesante pero también muy peligrosa tanto por el deterioro del acero como por encontrase bocabajo. 

 
Fuentes:
GRÖNER, E. “German Warships: 1815–1945 Naval Institute Press, 1990
WILLIANSON, G. “German Heavy Cruisers 1939–1945” Osprey, 2003
In-Deph Images Kwajalein

English version

The heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen was launched on August 22, 1938 after two years of work since its inception. Had a displacement of 18,750 tons, 207.7 meters long and had 8 guns as main armament 203 mm, 12 105 mm 37 mm 12, 8 and 6 20 mm torpedo tubes. It had a catapult to launch one of its 3 seaplanes Arado Ar 96. Could develop 32 knots and had a staff of 42 officers and 1,340 sailors.

The Prinz Eugen was captured by the Allies after the end of the Second World War, May 7, 1945 was discharged from the Navy. Twenty days later, along with the light cruiser Nürnberg were escorted by British cruisers (Dido and Devonshire) to reach the port of Wilhelmshaven. At year's end on 13 December, the Prinz Eugen was given as spoils of war to the United States and was transferred to Wesermünde. He was commissioned into the Navy as USS Prinz Eugen (IX-300) with a mixed crew of Germans and Americans under the command of Captain A. H. Graubart. He left on January 13, arriving in Boston on January 22, 1946 where it was thoroughly reviewed by Navy personnel and passive radar withdrew his powerful GHG to install the submarine USS Flying Fish for evaluation. It was not the only thing that threw up his exhaustive examination findings as different control system of fire aroused great interest.
 



Shortly afterwards he was chosen as a target for Operation Crossroads at Bikini Atoll to be developed in the summer of that year. The Prinz Eugen was towed without crew from Philadelphia to the Pacific through the Panama Canal. The operation consisted of three detonations; Able detonated at an altitude of 158 meters (July 1, 1946) and launched from a B-29 with a power of 21 kilotons. Baker, meanwhile, was detonated 27 meters below the sea surface on 25 July. The third would have been Charlie but was canceled due to high radioactive contamination caused Baker.

The unfortunate Prinz Eugen was not the only target vessel designated to see the effect of a nuclear detonation on a fleet. 90 other ships suffered this fate as dishonest, including the Japanese battleship Nagato and the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga. Surprisingly, the German cruiser survived the explosion of two atomic bombs but was contaminated by the fallout later without significant structural damage. After testing was towed back to the Kwajalein Atoll in the central Pacific, where he opened a small leak was not repaired. On August 29, 1946, having survived the Second World War and two nuclear tests Prinz Eugen was discharged in the United States Navy.

In late December the German cruiser was in very poor condition and began to heel over 21 days. The damage was serious and did not give time for a rescue team repaired the damage. To avoid total collapse stranded Navy tried but failed because the next day completely heeled sinking. To turn around its main turrets helmet came off and fell to the bottom, but its propeller assemblies remained on the surface. The U.S. government refused salvage rights on the grounds that he did not want irradiated steel finish on the Prinz Eugen market. It was not until August 1979 when one of their huge propellers was removed to be transferred to the Marine-Ehrenmal Laboe in Germany for use as a memorial.

Her remains were found near the island Ennubuj and ranges from sea surface to a depth of 35 meters. Immersion is a very interesting but also very dangerous both for the deterioration of the steel as found face down.




Sources:
GRÖNER, E. “German Warships: 1815–1945 Naval Institute Press, 1990
WILLIANSON, G. “German Heavy Cruisers 1939–1945” Osprey, 2003
In-Deph Images Kwajalein

martes, 22 de mayo de 2012

PzKpfw IV Ausf E


Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf E
(Sd.Kfz 161)



El PzKpfw IV Ausf E constituyó el quinto modelo de producción de este carro medio con un incremento significativo de su blindaje respecto a sus antecesores. Ya en plena producción del Ausf D se decidió incrementar su protección atornillando unas placas de blindaje en el frente y los laterales.

En este nuevo modelo del PzKpfw IV las planchas de blindaje de 20 mm en el lado de la superestructura y el casco se convirtieron en estándar mientras que el frontal del casco se aumentó hasta alcanzar los 50 mm de blindaje. También disponía de una nueva cúpula para el jefe del carro y se reubicó colocándose en una posición mucho más centrada que antes. Esto, a su vez, provocó también que se rediseñase la parte trasera de la torreta y se colocó un extractor de humos para aliviar el interior del vehículo durante los combates. Se produjeron otros cambios menores, como por ejemplo un nuevo diseño más sencillo de la rueda dentada motriz, un nuevo visor para el conductor, rediseño de escotillas de acceso en la parte frontal del casco. Las escotillas laterales de la torreta se mantuvieron con una sola portezuela, cosa que cambiaría con la siguiente versión del PzKpfw IV.

Con la producción inicial del Ausf E se logró equipar a cada compañía de 10 PzKpfw IV para la invasión de los Balcanes y el Norte de África (entre el 5º y 8º Panzer Abteilung sumaban 40 PzKpfw IV Ausf D y E). Al comienzo de la invasión de Rusia, en el verano de 1941, las 17 divisiones Panzer sumaban un total de 438 PzKpfw IV, que iban desde el Ausf B al F. El Ausf E se mantuvo en primera línea hasta 1944 cuando fueron destruidos los últimos de ellos. 



Datos técnicos del Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf E

Tripulación: 5
Peso: 21 toneladas.
Altura: 2´68 m
Longitud: 5´92 m
Anchura: 2´84 m
Blindaje del bastidor frontal: 60 mm
Blindaje frontal: 50 mm
Blindaje de la torreta frontal: 30 mm 
Armamento principal: Un cañón KwK 37 L/24 de 75 mm
 Armamento secundario:
 Autonomía: 200 Km
Motor: Maybach HL 120 TRM
 Producción: 223 unidades.
 


Fuentes:
SCHEIBERT, H. “The Panzer IV Family Schiffer Military, 1991
PERRET, B. “Panzerkampfwagen IV medium tank : 1936 - 1945” Osprey, 1999
PARADA, G. “Panzer IV. Sd.Kfz 161” Kagero, 2002
Panzer IV and machinery at its base. Part 1” Tornado, Military Tech nº 118

English version

The PzKpfw IV Ausf E was the fifth production model of this car medium with a significant increase in their armor over their predecessors. Once in full production of the Ausf D was decided to increase its protection screwing armor plates on the front and sides.

In this new model of PzKpfw IV armor plates of 20 mm on the side of the superstructure and hull became standard while the front of the hull was increased to reach 50 mm of armor. Also had a new dome for the head of the car and relocated positions it much more focused than before. This, in turn, is also caused rediseñase the rear of the turret and placed an extractor fan to relieve the interior of the vehicle during the fighting. Other minor changes occurred, such as a new simpler design of the drive sprocket, a new display to the driver, redesign of access hatches in the front of the helmet. The side of the turret hatches were maintained with a single door, which change with the next version of the PzKpfw IV.

With the initial production of the Ausf E was achieved equip each company of 10 PzKpfw IV for the invasion of the Balkans and North Africa (between 5 and 8 Abteilung Panzer PzKpfw IV Ausf totaled 40 D and E). At the beginning of the invasion of Russia in the summer of 1941, the 17 Panzer divisions totaled 438 PzKpfw IV Ausf ranging from B to F. The Ausf E remained in front until 1944 when they were destroyed the last of them.



Sources:
SCHEIBERT, H. “The Panzer IV Family Schiffer Military, 1991
PERRET, B. “Panzerkampfwagen IV medium tank : 1936 - 1945” Osprey, 1999
PARADA, G. “Panzer IV. Sd.Kfz 161” Kagero, 2002
Panzer IV and machinery at its base. Part 1” Tornado, Military Tech nº 118